Families represent one of the most important contexts for human relationships. Family relationships are among the most influential and complicated.
The quality of key family relationships has important and long-lasting impact on the development of virtually every personality characteristics and form of psychopathology.
Family therapy is one of the most common forms of mental health treatments.
It is multicomponent treatment packages that may involve the use of:
- Group sessions for client
- Sessions with family members excluding client
- Individual therapy sessions for the client
- Psycho-education and therapy sessions with all family members.
- A family systems perspective is central to family therapy.
- Family therapy focuses primarily on interpersonal interactions rather than intrapsychic phenomena.